Cellular Phone Tickets in New York State Now Carry 2 Points
Article by David Galison, P.C.
Think twice before answering your cell phone if you’re driving a motor vehicle in New York. A motorist who is ticketed for talking on the cell phone without a hands free device will now receive two points on their driver’s license if they are convicted. While two (2) points may not seem like a lot consider the following:
• Insurance carriers can raise your premiums based upon the amount of points on your license.
• Your license can be suspended or revoked if you receive more then 10 points on your drivers license within an 18 month period of time.
• If you receive six (6) or more points on your drivers license within an 18 month period of time you are subject to the Drivers Responsibility Assessment Act. *
Nassau, Suffolk and Queens counties are sure to start issuing traffic tickets for these cell phone driving violations, as part of a show of force in support of the new legislation. These enhanced efforts to ticket drivers who do not use hands free devices can be expected to last for the foreseeable future in hopes that it will create a deterrence effect. According to Newsday on February 16th, 2011 Suffolk County Sheriffs issued 19 cell phone tickets in the morning rush alone, while Nassau County Police issued 3 cell phone tickets as of the afternoon.
Given the potential serious consequences outlined above it is extremely important to retain the services of a qualified attorney to defend your case. Traffic tickets can be dismissed if the police don’t prove every element of the offense alleged. At the Law Office of David Galison, P.C., we strive to ensure that your rights are protected, and we explore every possible defense available. If you are charged with any traffic violation, please call the Law office of David Galison, P.C., at 516-242-4477 to setup a Free consultation to discuss your case.
The Law Office of David Galison, P.C., routinely defends drivers charged with the following traffic related offenses: speeding tickets, red light tickets, stop sign tickets, cell phone tickets, failure to signal tickets, failure to maintain lane tickets, driving on a suspended or revoked license, driving while intoxicated and driving while impaired.
In Nassau County the majority of traffic tickets are handled by the Nassau County Traffic and Parking Violations Agency located at 16 Cooper Street in Hempstead, New York. In Suffolk County the majority of traffic tickets are handled by the Department of Motor Vehicles Traffic Adjudications Bureau located at State Office Building, 2nd Floor, on Veterans Memorial Highway, in Hauppauge, NY 11788.
* If you receive six points on your driver record during a period of 18 months, the annual assessment is $100. The minimum amount that you must pay each year is the annual assessment. The total assessment for the three years is $300. If you receive more than six points on your driver record during a period of 18 months, the annual assessment is $25 for each point more than the original six points. The minimum amount that you must pay each year is the annual assessment. The total assessment for the three years is $75 for each point more than the original six points. (See the DMV website link provided above for further information)
At the Law Office of David Galison, P.C., we strive to ensure that your rights are protected. If you are charged with the utilizing a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle, or another driver related offense in Nassau, Suffolk or Queens County, contact the Law Office of David Galison, P.C. at 516-242-4477 to schedule a FREE CONSULTATION to discuss your case.
Criminal Attorney Nassau County
The Law Office of David Galison, P.C.
This is an Attorney Advertisement. This website is designed for information purposes only
and in no way establishes a attorney client relationship.
I hope that you find the information useful and look forward to meeting with you at the Free Consultation.
© 2011-2016 David Galison, P.C. All rights reserved.
Visit the Galison Law Website Network
Criminal Attorney Nassau County • The Law Office of David Galison, P.C., • 1539 Franklin Ave Mineola, NY 11501
(516) 242-4477 • FAX (516) 742-6477
Galison Law Web Network